Monday, October 12, 2015

Verizon seems aggressive in charging wireless Internet customers for large amounts of data use -- why?


Verizon, which still seems to have the largest wireless Internet coverage network across the country, is doing everything it can to discourage unlimited data transfer access, charging more now for the remaining consumers on it.  And generous data limits tend to be expensive, with additional charges for hotspot use and additional tablet or iPad use.  Brian Fung explains in an Oct. 8 article in the Washington Post here.

Why is data transfer so much more expensive with wireless than with cable or Fios Internet?  The question is significant because I use hotspot a lot on the road (hotel networks are less secure and sometimes don’t work – the “Ovation” network didn’t work in a stay in Columbia SC at a Quality Inn near Fort Jackson a few weeks ago – just before the storms and floods – and I was told to try moving the laptop around, it might work in other places on the property.  I didn’t get around to trying that (I’m willing to believe it would have worked), as I just simply used iPhone hotspot – and was warned I had gotten up to 75% of my plan.
  
My experience is that Internet that doesn’t require a physical land connection is simply more reliable, or more likely to be available in a pinch.  Comcast Xfinity actually does stay up during thunderstorms, but on weekdays there are sometimes annoying stops (with the Cable saying simultaneously “This channel will be available shortly” on its own BSOD) – which I can only attribute to maintenance work in the area causing signal drop-offs and short outages.  I have a smaller digital TV which simply gets the 2009 broadcast signal to an antenna placed near a picture window, to have TV during long outages – but that doesn’t help with some channels like CNN or ESPN.

 

No comments: