Sunday, May 10, 2015

Epix network seems not to be available with some cable companies, making content inaccessible to some viewers (film "Deep Web")


An important independent film, “Deep Web”, by Alex Winter, which will deal with topics like bitcoin and the “Silk Road” (as well as, I hope, some aspects of the online reputation issue) is produced and distributed in part by the Epix network.
  
I checked and it seem that Comast XFinity doesn’t carry it.  Cox apparently does, as does Verizon FIOS and mainly dish (DirectTV).  Epix came about, I understand, as a result of a past business dispute resulting in restructuring and spinoff.  But the end result seems to be that Comcast apparently believes the channel is redundant.
  
But Comcast customers do need it if Epix carries content not on any other cable or satellite network.  It’s not practical to switch over one channel, but it seems Xfinity is not being considerate of customer service needs, putting business politics ahead of customers.  Indeed, I just checked and I don’t find Comcast or Xfinity on the “Get Epix” list here.  Also, look at this user forum link.  I do see Time Warner on the Epix list, so if the merger had gone through with Comcast, maybe I could get the movie, to be shown May 31. 
    
I emailed the film distributor Bond360 to ask about alternate availability (like DVD, for openers).  In the meantime, the best I can to for visitors want to learn about this important film is to link to a Hollywood Reporter review (from SXSW in Austin TX), here. Sorry, I didn't see that it was at the Maryland Film Festival in Baltimore (just concluded) in time.  I just missed it.  


No comments: