Sunday, July 28, 2013

Do we really need to do everything on our smart phones? Take the IQ test

Do we really need to do everything with our smart phones? 
  
Jenna Wortham has a “Bits” column in the Sunday New York Times business section “I’m still waiting for my phone to become my wallet,” p. 3, link here
 l
I haven’t learned to use my smartphone the way kids have; I should get the taxicab app to work so that I can get a cab when out at the bars.  

And I find self-checkout in grocery stores and CVS, which has enough complicated steps even with credit cards, let alone phone, a bit of a problem.

The end result will be fewer retail clerks and cashiers, fewer lower-wage hourly jobs (which I skipped out on) but fewer situations where there is a line and only one cashier – or maybe more such encounters. Have you ever abandoned a purchase because the line was too long for someone to take your money? I did once at a Walgreen’s in Minneapolis. 
  

My father used to love the “Automat” Horn cafeterias in NYC in the 1950’s.  I don’t know what happened to them..    

No comments: