Saturday, January 26, 2013

In Kansas City, Google Fiber dazzles with highest connection speeds ever; an opportunity for filmmakers (and me)?


The Kansas City area (first, Hanover Heights in Kansas and soon across the stateline in Missouri) is getting a huge boost from Google Fiber, a prototype for broadband service that could be the fastest in the world (even by South Korean standards) and become a new standard everywhere.

The Washington Post on Saturday January 26, 2013 has a front page story by Cecilia Kang.
   
Google Fiber optic runs at 1000 MPS; Verizon Fios runs at 300 MPS; Comcast Xfinity Cable (which I have) is “only” 50 Mbps.  MPS means “Megabits per second”.

Comcast is still adequate for most purposes – including Netflix movies on Instant play.  Where I think I could have a problem is when I make my own documentary video soon, and want to upload it to YouTube.  I am authorized to load segments over 15 minutes, but in practice it takes too long.

That means I could have to rethink my own arrangement this spring.

Maybe XFinity speeds will increase.
   
The Washington Post offers this chart here and has another lnk for testing connection speeds.
   
Higher speeds  will enable some new security systems, like Eye Verify (a retinal system, link ), to work more easily.  It seems as though this sort of system would appeal to the TSA.

Here’s a video (by Ramsey Mohsen) on testing connection speed.


I wonder if Google Fiber will come to Lawrence, Kansas, at KU, where I went to graduate school in the 1960s.   

Picture: University of Kansas campus, 2006.  Is it next?

Second picture:  I could have trouble uploading a lengthy lecture or "narrated hike" like this (from iMovie):

No comments: