Monday, November 05, 2012

Post-Sandy: Weak cable signals at night


A couple more little oddities with my own wireless service post-storm have cropped up.

My Comcast XFinity, the past two evenings, has started pixillating and garbling (like a stutterer), especially on hi-def channels.  Half the recording of the “Seal Team 6” got garbled. 

There is a link on this problem here

Maybe when the temperature goes down a splitter somewhere contracts and the signal strength weakens.  If it continues, I’ll call Comcast.  The problem clears completely during the day time. 

If other XFINITY customers in the northern VA (Arlington) area have had this problem since Sandy visited us, please send me a comment.

I did not lose cable or Internet during the storm at all. Count my blessings?  Must maximum wind gusts of 60 mph and heavy rain could have damaged some splitters or concentrators on the lines in the neighborhood, in such a way that the problem only shows when the lines are not warmed by ambient sunlight.  

Here’s another oddity:  I’ve never used the voice recorder on my smart phone (a Motorola Droid with Verizon), but today I was sending a text, and I muttered a profanity to myself, and the profanity showed up in the message, just before I sent it to confirm a dental appointment.  I didn’t even know the phone can do this.  It’s pretty dangerous. 

Update: Nov. 7

The Comcast Tech adjusted the "TDU" and rebalanced the amplifier on a pole down the street, for winter temperatures.   This has not been necessary in previous years.  The amp had been repaired after the summer derecho. 

No comments: