Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Verizon cellular hot spot on new iPad not an economic replacement for cable or FIOS; it's just a backup


I checked my data usage on my new iPad for the remainder of the cable outage caused by the June 29 derecho.  Verizon says I used a total of 3GB during the billing period.  It had totaled 2 GB until two days before cable was restored. I used much less than 1 G last week on my road trip, when I used the hot spot in the  Charleston, WVa motel. I did not watch videos with the hot spot. I satisfied myself with the motel's cable. 

I had upped my allowance to 5GB, but Verizon billed me both the additional $20 for the allowance, and a $10 overage after all.  This seems wrong, like double billing.

Curiously, Verizon is telling me that my iPad service is eligible for an upgrade on 9/11/2012.  I don’t know what this means.

Cellular wireless, while quite efficient, right now is apparently not an economically viable substitute for land based cable or FIOS, which in suburban and rural areas is very subject to outages caused by storms and which some remote areas still don’t have.

I do have unlimited data on my smart phone, but that would go away when I get another upgrade at a discount price (in 2013).

I also noted Saturday that in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia, that Verizon’s cellular Internet service was spotty, and 3G at best.

Cellular wireless is very popular in the workplace, for workers who carry laptops to customer homes. It is also now popular in the home security business, since it has no lines that can be cut.

No comments: