Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My own practical test of bandwidth rationing

Yesterday, I had an unusual problem with my Comcast Xfinity cable Internet, which leads to a router for up to five computers.  I had signed on to my main Dell laptop (Windows 7) using the router, and switched to the Verizon "new" iPad hotspot, which is 90% as fast, to give it some work.  I could not get the Dell to reconnect to the Internet on Comcast, even though the older Dell XP Tower next to it had stayed connected. Upstairs, I could not get the Toshiba notebook (also W7) to connect to Internet on it either, but the Mac book next to it would.  I wondered if there could be a problem with the router access, or the way it was assigning internal iP addresses.

Soon, however, I heard the access on the Tower "chime", which means that Comcast has reset the modem and high speed service, so it must have detected the problem.  Then it all connected.

As it happened, I installed Carbonite backup on my MacBook yesterday as preparation for a music project.  (I don't have a Lion OS late enough to use iCloud, and I'm not about to start replacing OS's on a whim.) That resulted in a 10 hour "initial backup" through Xfinity of 9 gig from the MacBook.

During that period, until almost the end, once again I could not sign on to Xfinity through my Dell laptop, although the older XP stayed connected.  Is this a matter of bandwidth management?  No complaints, because I just used iPad hot spot all day on the Dell (which has to be refreshed if you leave the computer idle and it goes to sleep).  Today it all worked as normal.

Picture: OK, I don't dust often enough. 

1 comment:

gayathri devi said...

Well your site is very informative and it will be equally worthwhileopen Speed test