Wednesday, December 02, 2009

ATT: Only 3% of customers had broadband in 2000; Black Monday problems; some personal experience


Well, last night Webroot Spyweeper ran a backup while I watched a half-hour short film on Logo on Comcast broadband.

I did have a lot of trouble connecting with the movie server, which may have been due to packet contention over the fact that my PC was transmitting data out through the cable to a remote server. Eventually the movie ran, but it stalled several times. James Martin’s textbook on telecommunications back in the mid 1990s would explain how this works.

Does Comcast regulate the rate at which data can come in to and leave my machine? Probably, to protect other customers. I can’t say that this is objectionable.

Also, AT&T has been pointing out that in 2000 only 3% of computer email users had broadband. It claims that the industry, including itself, has provided “neutral” service with little oversight of consumers (of the type above). The ad doesn’t say what percent of customers have broadband today.

Monday night, Nov. 30, I had trouble getting "server busy" messages when FTP-ing to my doaskdotell domain with WS-FTP (Ipswitch). I don't know if this was a broadband problem, or it had to do with some end-of-month cleanup at the ISP. A number of sites were slow, on both comcast and even Verizon wireless this time; maybe there was a central routing problem (Mae East). Broadband technology will have to deal with peak usage, as on "Black Monday" when people are climbing online to make cyber purchases.

No comments: